Monday 4 November 2013

The Fox And The Butterfly - New Canvas!

Happy Monday!

Have we all had our coffee and braced ourselves for another week of STUFF? I have another quick post for you today - a new canvas is now available in my Etsy store!


I'm so happy with this one. I'm really self-critical so there's a LOT of stuff that never makes it to sale!! I do love foxes so I had some real fun making this. It's a 10"x10"x1.5" canvas, covered with 80 year old vintage French book pages before painting. I love that the book text still shows through the paint - I like the texture and depth that it adds.



I used artist's fluid acrylic paints for a colour base and then added a combination of soluble wax pastel and soft oil pastel to build up layers and achieve the final effect. I wanted it to look a little rustic, and I love the finished result!


I added some darker colour with Derwent inktense pencils and a couple of Faber Pitt pens. I was pleased that the texture of the torn book page background still showed through.

The butterfly, larger flowers and leaves are cut from thin designer papers and decoupaged onto the canvas, then painted, with added detail drawn and painted directly onto the canvas.



I love the combination of colours and that blue is always a favourite for me. In between the layers of wet media is a little rich gold gilding wax. I didn't want it to be to bold and brassy, just a subtle layer adding to the feeling of warm soft sunlight.

My smiley, friendly fox and his butterfly friend are now for sale for a VERY reasonable price and I hope he finds a loving home soon. Feel free to head over to my ETSY SHOP and take a peek at the auction. I have a couple more canvases in process and I'm just finishing a couple of watercolours so keep checking for new stock regularly.

Thank you for your support - it's very much appreciated! Sending out love and hugs from me to you - Shroo :) xxx

1 comment: